The Twillman House

The Twillman House

  • The Twillman House was built in 1870 by Johann Heinrich Twillman, a German immigrant whose family arrived in St. Louis in 1839.
  • The original building is made of handmade brick with the base of Mississippi River limestone.
  • There was an exterior two-story staircase in the rear of the building which has been enclosed.
  • When John Henry Twillman died in 1882, this house and the surrounding 374 acre farm was divided among his family.
  • In 1911 the house was described as “a large-old-fashioned brick structure to which age has lent a certain dignity and it is now one of the most imposing and beautiful country homes in this section of the county.”
  • Twillman descendants lived in the building until 1945 when Carl & Mary Plith purchased it and opened the Meadowlark Restaurant. In 1974 John and Mary Spiller opened the Old Homestead Restaurant here.
  • The one-story frame addition on the south side of the house was built when the home became a restaurant.
  • In 2005 the Spanish Lake Community Association purchased the building to use as a home for the association and a Community Center for the residents of the unincorporated community of Spanish Lake.
  • image
    Date of Photograph: ca. 1870