Churches prior to 1900

Bellefontaine United Methodist Church (Methodist)
Bellefontaine United Methodist congregation had its start in 1805 with the construction of a cabin church. A brick and timber church was built in 1855 and still stands next to the new sanctuary built next to it in 1965. Located at 10600 Bellefontaine Rd. in Bellefontaine Neighbors.
Link to their website

Salem Lutheran Church (German) (Lutheran)
Salem Evangelical Church of New Bielefeld (now known as Black Jack) was organized by Rev. C. H. Schliepsick as the first pastor in 1848. The original log church was completed in 1851 and was replaced in 1861 by a brick church. The present church was dedicated in 1899. Located at 5180 Parker Road in Black Jack. Many early Spanish Lake residents attended this church and many are buried in the old cemetery there.

St. Aloysius Church (Catholic)
This church was initially a mission of Holy Cross Church and Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church in 1871. It then located at 12110 Larimore Road in the Spanish Lake community. The Archdiocese of St. Louis closed St. Aloysius Church in 2005. The building was purchased by Lighthouse Apostolic Ministries of God Church in 2007.

St. Peter’s Lutheran Church (Lutheran)
This congregation built its first church in 1863 on the Mississippi River bottomland, east of Columbia Bottom Road Road in Spanish Lake, when German immigrants from New Bielefeld, Prussia, settled in the area. The original church was built to look like the church they had left behind in Germany. The congregation built its new building at 1120 Trampe in the 1930's.