Chitwood-Prigge House, 750 Prigge Rd., Spanish Lake, ca. 1798

image

The Chitwood-Prigge House stands on part of a tract of 250 acres granted by the Spanish colonial government to Richard Chitwood in 1798. Recent tree ring analysis has shown that he probably started this house at that time. It resembles French vertical log houses in its profile.

Chitwood served as a major in the War of 1812 and later as a justice of the peace before his death in 1822. Charles F. Prigge, a native of Germany, bought these 24 acres of the Chitwood tract in 1845 and died here in 1884. He was described as a “well known farmer, prominent social and political figure of the community.” Former owners began restoring the house in 1982.