What is required by the County when I sell or buy a home?

Starting July 1, 2007, if you buy a house or condo in unincorporated St. Louis County, a re-occupancy inspection and permit will be required from the Division of Neighborhood Services before you move in.

Previously, the County’s re-occupancy program covered only rental properties (both apartments and single-family rental houses) and owner-occupied single-family houses in a few, select “conservation districts” in unincorporated St. Louis County. The pending expansion is designed to further safeguard the county’s housing stock, officials say.

“Our expanded inspection program will help keep neighborhoods stable and protect property values for future generations,” observed Joseph A. Hunt, deputy director of Neighborhood Services (Department of Public Works). “St. Louis County has thousands of older homes that haven’t had an inspection of any kind since the day they were built. And some of them didn’t even have one then.”

Hunt’s inspectors will check recently sold or about-to-be sold owner-occupied homes for basic property maintenance items such as plumbing, roofing, gutters and wiring. Defects will have to be repaired before the re-occupancy permit is granted.

The inspection and permit will cost $80 – payable by either the seller or buyer or a representative of either.

More information on the inspection process can be found online on the County’s web site (stlouisco.com). Go to Public Works’ page and click on the “Re-occupancy Permit System” link, and then, at the bottom of the page, click “What Do St. Louis County Inspectors Look For?” Sellers/buyers may also apply for the inspection at this website.

Applications may also be made in person at two locations:
North County Government Center, 21 Village Square (near the intersection of I-270 and Lindbergh). Phone: 314-615-7346.
South County Government Center, 4558 Lemay Ferry Road (just south of I-270). Phone: 314-615-4142.

The expansion will add approximately 94,500 condos, single-family homes and duplexes to the County’s re-occupancy inspection rolls.

What is required by the County when I buy or sell a home.doc25 KB